Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Are Indians better English writers than Americans?

Awhile ago I posted about how you need an American copy editor or proofreader, rather than someone from India, because only an American native speaker can make your writing smooth, clear, and natural. Today I'm changing my position.

I've been reading through the articles on article databases (I'm on articlebase.com now). These are sites where writers 'dump' content in the hopes that other website owners will 'syndicate' or copy their article, providing a link back to whatever content or website the original author choose, thus helping their online business or affiliate sales.

I'm looking for articles about writing or editing to put on my main editing website. And I've been surprised. Most of the articles by Americans are mediocre at best and full of spelling mistakes. And some of the articles by Indian authors are amazing. Jaw dropping. I'm reading articles on 'loan applications' or 'property appraisals' and the writing is so freaking good, I want to put it straight into a literary novel masterpiece.

Listen to this:

Taming The Book Proposal, Author: Vishwajeet

Oh, that most maddening of documents! For so many of us eager to move forward with our nonfiction projects, it looms large like a guard at the queen’s castle, blocking the path to publication. Its perfection eludes us yet it stands there teasing, “Complete me, or your manuscript will never see the light of day, mwahahahaha!”

Is that great or what?! Ironically, I usually caution writers to keep it simple, take out their big words and long sentences - but this is only because the average American writer can't write well and is sure to mess it up.

Things are looking down for America; either because of poor education or laziness, writing skill have plummeted. Even people with the inclination and desire to publish a book write poorly! Most likely they're reading crap or online articles only while Indians are reading classics and philosophy; that's my bet.

I don't care either way; now I know who to turn to if I need really great writing done.

No comments: